- Concept-driven inquiry Concepts are abstract but they create a culture of thinking that involves students seeing connections, contradictions, alternative perspectives, and different ways of thinking.
Concepts challenge students to engage critically and creatively with significant ideas beyond the surface level of knowledge. Pivot PYP teachers use powerful, broad and abstract concepts as a lens to organise learning within units of inquiry and subject-specific learning as a culture and knowledge-building process.
- Transdisciplinary Integrated Curriculum Transdisciplinary learning in the PYP is a means of curriculum integration that dissolves the boundaries between the conventional disciplines and organises teaching and learning around the construction of meaning in the context of real-world problems or themes. PYP students learn to appreciate knowledge, conceptual understandings, skills and personal attributes as a connected whole. They can reflect on the significance of their learning to take meaningful actions in their community and beyond. As such, students learn how to deal with authentic problems and real-world issues.
- Multiple-intelligence Skills Various multiple-intelligence skills are infused in the IB curriculum, central to the holistic development of students, as follows:
1. Communication skills
2. Research skills
3. Self-management skills
4. Social skills
5. Thinking skills
The International Baccalaureate (IB) Middle Years Programme (MYP) comprises eight subject groups:
3. Individuals and societies.
4. Language acquisition.
5. Language and literature.
7. Physical and health education.
Three salient features of the IBMYP are elucidated below:
- Authentic Learning Authentic learning is gaining popularity in education vigour. Students learn best in a contextual learning experience, or in other words, experiences connected to their lives and their experience of the world that they have experienced.
In global contexts, MYP students develop an understanding of their common humanity and shared guardianship of the planet through developmentally appropriate explorations of:
1. fairness and development
2. globalisation and sustainability
3. identities and relationships
4. orientations in space and time
5. personal and cultural expression
6. scientific and technical innovation
- Conceptual understanding Concepts are big ideas that have relevance within specific disciplines and across subject areas. MYP students use concepts as a vehicle to inquire into issues and ideas of personal, local and global significance and examine knowledge holistically. An interdisciplinary way is adopted to integrate knowledge, which resembles learners’ real-world situations.
- Skill-based Training A unifying thread throughout all MYP subject groups provides the foundation for independent learning and encourages the application of their knowledge and skills in unfamiliar contexts. Developing and applying these social, thinking, research, communication and self-management skills help students learn how to learn.
Courses and Resources of Cambridge English Cambridge English Qualifications are well-known and profoundly recognised by schools, universities, and employers all over the English-speaking world. Mastery in a Cambridge English Qualification endows students with a globally recognised certificate demonstrating their excellent proficiency in English.
Native and veteran Pivot English specialists help your children prepare for Cambridge English Qualifications through comprehensive means such as best examination sample paper rehearsal, face-to-face courses, experimental learning with cultural organisations, British culture high-tech classroom facilities and parents' seminars.
Comprehensive Academic Services
Bring You the Best Results!
At Pivot Academics, we understand the importance of a strong academic foundation, especially when it comes to international curricula.
Our team of experienced tutors and educators are dedicated to providing personalized support and guidance to our students, helping them to develop the necessary skills and knowledge to excel in their studies. For all our courses, we offer comprehensive programs that are tailored to meet the specific needs and goals of each student.
Our tutors provide detailed feedback and support, ensuring that our students are continuously improving and making progress towards their academic goals. Parents can trust Pivot Academics to provide a range of high-quality academic services that will help their children to succeed academically and reach their full potential.
Our team is dedicated to providing personalized support and guidance every step of the way, ensuring that each student receives the attention and resources they need to achieve success.
Let's see how our students think about us!
Teresa is a very friendly tutor and very knowledgeable about the admissions process. I got a lot done in a few hours as the deadline approached. She gave me a lot of great ideas in my personal essay that I wouldn't have thought of myself. I'd definitely recommend it to students looking for help with their college applications!
I always had difficulties with my studies, but Sunny didn't give up on me and helped me achieve an A* in IGCSE at age 9! He never looked down on me and did his best to support me during the exam.
I've been learning from Serene through my IGCSE and IB years, and I'm so grateful for her guidance! Serene has really helped me understand all the topics I've struggled with, from motors in Physics all the way up to stop me from pulling my hair out in HL Maths AA! Her meticulous and caring teaching truly helped me understand the concepts for exams, alongside many past paper questions and continuous help even outside the classroom! Thank you so much :D
Sunny's classes were really helpful. He managed to identify and improve my weakness. The tedious concepts were delivered in a comprehensive way. I was able to be clearer about the content after every class and eventually achieved an ideal grade. Now I'm studying at my dream university, and I would not have done that without his help.
I only consider Lancing school if I want to study in the UK. I am very grateful to Pivot Academics for helping me to get the best results!
When I decided to go to the UK, most of the schools have passed the deadline, and there are certain restrictions on where I can go to study, but after the Pivot Academics counsellor took over my case, they still tried their best to get me into the region and the top school. And finally, I was successfully admitted. My family and I were ecstatic. The counsellor would still pay attention to my study journey in the UK and maintain close contact. This kind of thorough care, It's hard to find elsewhere.
Most unique to Pivot is the wide network of mentors and students, meaning that for virtually any query, there is likely someone who has had a recent experience with the issue at hand. Pivot also holds frequent sessions spanning various aspects of the application process and provides a well-rounded approach to medical applications. Arrangement of work experience is also of great help to students, who may otherwise struggle to find the tailor-made work experience opportunities that Pivot offers.
In my opinion, the biggest strength that Pivot Medical Programme provides, and what distinguishes it from other programmes that support aspiring medical students, is the “whole-package” style, individualised support to the applicant. Applicants are followed through from their GCSEs, through A-levels, up until they get into medical school, so mentors have a full understanding of the applicant’s profile from academics, motivation, work experience, UCAT, BMAT, etc. and can therefore provide the right kind of support and guidance at the appropriate times as needed or as requested (e.g. when decisions have to be made on subject choice, or when deciding whether to take the UCAT/ BMAT or both). This also proves to be especially helpful in personal statement writing and university selection, as the mentors’ holistic understanding of the applicant allows them to provide better guidance when working with them on their personal statement; as well as choosing the right university to apply to, as all the strengths and weaknesses of the applicant’s profile are taken into account. For interview preparation, practice sessions are available on-request, which is extremely helpful as medical school interviews come closer, and the experienced mentors are able to provide realistic mock-interviews, as well as invaluable advice like “red-flag” mistakes to avoid and points to work on.
Pivot Medical Program mentoring by doctors who are very passionate about teaching aspiring medics, know the NHS very well, available anytime for advice and support. Regular interview training was extremely helpful!
The strengths of the Pivot Medical Programme include access to work experience with good variety in both primary and secondary care, personal statement coaching with tailored statements for different medical school admissions, and mock interviews, covering MMIs, interview techniques and professional development.
Over the past two years, Billy (Dr Leung) and Alex (Dr Man) have been excellent mentors for me and a tremendous inspiration to me. There is no doubt to say that their guidance has brought me further in life. I couldn’t recommend anyone better to have both as a guide and mentor.
The Pivot Medical programme helped massively with my medical school application, especially with interview training and constructing a good personal statement. All the mentors are passionate about helping students achieve their best with personalised feedback and support.
A very detailed and personalised medical programme which ensures everyone can receive holistic support in terms of their strengths and weaknesses. Personally, I really enjoyed the packed sessions with different mentors that cover all aspects of the selection process from preparing a personal statement to MMI interviews. Without the help of excellent standards, my application process could have been a lot more challenging.
The holistic support from the Pivot Medical Programme. I was able to receive advice on every aspect of the university application process from different mentors. Also, I was able to meet peers who are in the same process as me and form this support network.